Saturday, October 30, 2010

Which activities make you lose track of time...

The art of being a shopaholic
Time is such a precious commodity in todays society as everyone is constantly trying to fit more activities into one day than one should probably fit into a week. However time is a constant factor in our lives, we need to be on time for meetings, on time for lectures, on time for meeting deadlines, on time for your dental appointment, on time for your flights (I'm always on time if I'm going on holiday), basically our lives for the most part are ruled by time. Thus I embrace the times when I'm not rushing around checking my watch every five minutes making sure I'm on time, I thrive on not having to wear a watch on the weekends or on holiday as I know I don't have to keep track of time. Being able to have time to just be, to relax and do what you want to do and not within a specific time frame is essential for one's soul to be happy. 

There are a number of activities which make me lose track of time which I thoroughtly enjoy:
  • Shopping- I can shop for hours, browsing in and out of stores, trying on clothes, shoes and accessories. I can enter a shopping center at 10am and leave when it closes and not realise that I have spent an entire day shopping as retail theraphy certainly is therapy for me.
  • Spending time with family and friends allows one to forget about the bad week that has past and focus on sharing moments with people who have really positively added to your life.
  • Travelling and discovering new places, people and cultures gets me engrossed in the activity as I absolutely love discovering new places, learning about new cultures and just fully embracing a new dynamic.
  • Spending time at my favourite NGO's like Sarah Fox, Learn to Earn, Carel du Toit and Star Schools, just gives me such insight into giving back and how one can impact the lives of others in such small ways.
  • Social media and spending time on the internet. There is always something new to learn about, there's so much information available that spending time on the net can most certainly make you lose track of time.
  • Doing activities that I love like cooking, trying new restaurants, going wine tasting, reading, being adventurous, learning and discovering hidden gems completely make me lose focus on the time.
Time really can dominate our lives, however its up to you to make sure that it does not and that you allow yourself to lose track of time every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment