Monday, October 25, 2010

Sometimes people need to make their own mistakes

Life is all about making mistakes, not many of us want to admit or find it easy to admit that we’ve made a mistake as who wants to admit when they are wrong. One of the hard tasks of life is watching a friend who you have grown up with, fall head over heels in love with a guy who one feels is not a great fit.

Friendship is more than just playing barbies or sharing a drink, it’s a bond which one establishes over time. It’s a feeling of comfort, happiness and trust which one shares with another individual and overtime the strength becomes like a bond one has with family members.

I have a friend who I have known since I was 3 or 4 years of age and over the years we have become family as we’ve shared heartache, achievements, deaths, love and made many memories together. She has generally only been in long term relationships and never really embraced the freedom of being single. She started dating a guy about 1 year and a half ago. They met in a rather unusal way, he was in a relationship and she had been single for a brief period. Their relationship started on a bad footing in my mind as he cheated on his ex girlfriend with my friend and this is how their relationship began. My theory of once a cheater always a cheater was put to the test.

Over the period that they have been together, I actually became fond of him until he cheated on my special friend who really does not deserve to be treated like that. After the cheating episode my opinion of this individual changed completely. It got to a stage when my dear, innocent friend realised that they needed to take a break in order to give her time to reassess the situation. However the douchbag of a male once again waved his magical wand, threw a slight tantrum which the usual 5 year old does, and he got exactly what he wanted. This break didn’t last long as they are now back together. During the period after the cheating, I was always or at least tried to be the friend I thought I should be which included voicing my opinion of him and his actions. I understand that love is a feeling, connection and an addiction which one at times will do and try everything to hold onto it. However there needs to come a time when you question whether its really love or if its just fear of not wanting to be alone. I guess there are times when all we can do is voice our opinion but the reality is sometimes people just need to learn the hard way and make their own mistakes no matter how much we care about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment