Saturday, October 30, 2010

If not now, then when?

For the first time this year I really realised how quickly time can fly by when you are engrossed in life with so much to do. If you are not at the office meeting deadlines, at university, seeing clients, strategising, planning, going about your daily busy schedule, spending time with family and friends, doing what you love, learning and discovering new treasures or pieces of info you are hopefully getting a bit of shut eye or as my 7 year old cousin would say, 'resting your eyes'. The reality is as each year goes by we take on new challenges in life whether it be at the office or in a personal capacity and when one looks back you realise how much you were able to accomplish. If you do not push yourself, take on the new challenges and really test your abilities then in my mind you are not really living.

With that being said, if one is completely engrossed in your current life with so much to do, is there room to make the big step that you have been wanting too? Are you ever too busy to make that change or take a new direction in life? Do we use our busy schedules as an excuse to stay in our comfort zones instead of overcoming a fear?

A good example would be the fact that I have been trying for a while to get back into exercising. I absolultely thrive on getting my heart rate up, being active and staying in shape. However due to my busy career and additional take on of my Btech, I put this very important activity on hold. It got to a stage where I would find any excuse in the book not to exercise forgetting how much I actually enjoyed being active. Until a friend of mine encouraged me to start playing soccer. At first I was very apprehensive as I had not been that active in a while neither had I ever really played soccer. I decided to give it a try as I would never know if I actually enjoyed playing until I tried. After my first practice I was hooked and have been playing ever since. Thus if I had not been motivated to give the 1st practice a shot I would have never tried. The moral of the story, speaking from experience, if you do not start something now or at least give it a bash, the likelihood of you actually trying it is very unlikely. Take that extra big leap, put yourself out there and do it now, what do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment