Saturday, September 18, 2010

When you’re her age, (over 80) what will matter to you most?

Love matures with age too
The older you get, you either celebrate each birthday or you pretend that its not your birthday and instead would rather let your age stagnate as this means no more wrinkles right? Whether you are the type to plan your birthday weeks in advance because you believe you should celebrate each year of challenges and life, which I do or whether you would prefer to spend your birthday doing your day to day activities, the reality of aging is bound to take place. No anti wrinkle cream, magical vitamins or injection will prevent you from turning a year older each year.

If i was 80 the things in life that would matter to me most would be:
  • My family - spending time with my husband (if he's still alive or maybe my toyboy), my children, grandchildren and friends.
  • Being able to wake every morning and embrace the day in a healthy, happy and loving way.
  • Reminiscing with old friends over a cuppa tea or a G&T whilst we remember our days as teenagers, 1st loves, marriage, travelling and how things have worked out.
  • The ability to be mobile, still active, not too dependent on others but still an independent, hip 80 year old.
  • Still being able to positively impact  the lives of others whether it be that I bake for the local kids orphange or make use of my yet to be discovered sewing skills.
  • Enjoying my ME time, reading, gardening, cooking, baking and watching soapies
  • Still being challenged, keeping my mind, body and soul active
  • Travelling- still being able to see the world or rediscover Cape Town
  • Achieving self actualisation - being happy with where my life is at.
Its best to embrace the art of getting old, we all want to age gracefully right.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

-- Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment