Saturday, September 18, 2010

Have you figured out the second head fake?

The story of Randy Pausch, who was a computer scientist and co-founded the Entertainment Technology Center at Carnegie Mellon University is one which left a lump in my throat and my eyes welling up with tears as I watched his last lecture at Carnegie Mellon University on Youtube. Randy suffered from pancreatic cancer which reappeared and he was given 3-6 months of healthy moments to live before his health would go downhill. Randy celebrated life with his wife and three kids.

One's health is such a valuable asset, we dont always realise how important our health really is until we fall ill, or a loved one suffers from a dying illness. This reminder assists in putting life into perspective and how essential it is to maintain a balance in life even though we all struggle.

Watching Randy's last lecture made me realise that so often with death we focus on the negatives as we are losing a special person in our lives but how would this person want to be remembered? For Randy, he wanted to be remembered for his last lecture, instilling life lessons in the lives of young, aspring individuals, encouraging individuals to realise their dreams, live their dreams and enable the dreams of others. Instead of hibernating in his home with his family and reminiscing about past times, he decided to part with instilling wise words and reality amongst individuals who were the future leaders. This act of courage, a desire to leave a legacy and make a difference is a quality not many individuals possess.

After watching the lecture I realised that yes I am living my life, trying to achieve my goals but there are times when we stumble across a high hurdle which can demotivate one terribly. It's about having the courage to keep trying, fighting and proving yourself until you are satisfied. It's about getting over the fear of taking risks, if this means jumping onto a plane next year and challenging oneself in a new country but learning life lessons which I can share with other individuals and my family then so be it. I dont think I have fully figured out where I am going in life but I am discovering that journey day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment