Sunday, March 28, 2010

We are indeed exactly what we do...

I am a 24 year old Public Relations (PR) Officer at PPC Cement, the leading supplier of cement in southern Africa. I am currently in my last year of my Btech in PR Management, completing my final two subjects this year, media studies and management. Is this a true refelction of ME? A PR Officer who studies? What does this say about me?

I have never really thought about it in that sense, as it is rare that we take the time to reflect on our actions and undertsand exactly what this says about us as individuals. PR Officer what does this say about me... Well PR is a lifestyle, it becomes part of who you are and what you do. Whether it be at the office, organising an event, writing a press release, dealing with our stakeholders, putting together a strategic plan, organising a corporate social investment (CSI) outreach programme, editting and designing, hearing a radio advert that I worked on, on air or evaluating an activity, PR is part of who I am. Its a profession that I thoroughly enjoy as it encapsulates so many activities thus diveristy and variety are always on the cards. Yes, of course there are the mundane activities which I try put off at times like admin but I have to do it at some stage. A successful event is a job well done, seeing my article being published is a great feeling. When clients thoroughly enjoy an event & the feedback is positive, one feels fulfilled and knows that the next activity you need to continue to raise the bar. Constantly raising the bar and wanting to do better becomes part of who you are as one never wants to disappoint.

Being a student is also part of what I do, balancing the study-work life is at times difficult but the truth is, if i didnt do it now i would never do it. I got through my first year of my Btech, which was tough and now my final year is even tougher but I know and can see the benefits already. Studying and working takes much committment, dedication, hardwork and balance. The fact that I am studying and working at the same time has its benefits as there are numerous topics/applications which one learns about that you can apply to your profession at the office such as social media. I am currrently becoming more insightful with regard to the revolution of social media and its positive impacts on the business and how PPC need to start with social media. This is something I feel strongly about and cannot wait to get PPC on the social media wagon.

Yes, I do believe what we are is what we do but most of the time the things we want to do, things we want to achieve, our vision, our dreams, things to come are also part of who we are. Our unqiue personalities, love for the small things in life, dislikes ( I'm not a fan of beetroot), our dreams, visions, quirks and beings truely reflect who we are and what we will hopefully do in time to come....

4 comments:

  1. Are you telling me next year is going to be worse than this year re the BTECH! NO ANDREA, NO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all Rox, ou can handle it. But the truth is, each year you take on new challenges so things do become more hectic. You will get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea you almost made my heart stop there...lol.

    It says something about a person who can work full time and study part time - you need to be dedicated and motivated to balance everything to achieve your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True very true & i think its great character building plus when was life ever easy. If you want success, you have to work damn hard to achieve it! Olivia & Rox, you are both star students so next year will be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete