Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bafunny Bafunny, a sure way to laugh away any stress


SA's talented comedic team


After what has been a rather busy, stressful and challenging 5 months of 2010, a night celebrating South Africa’s top comedic talent is a sure way to let go of any stress and seriously get down & dirty with an array of SA talent. Bafunny Bafunny is made up of SA’s star-studded Comedy Team which features eight of the funniest stand-up comedians in South Africa. The team recently arrived home from London where they performed at the impressive Royal Albert Hall. Comedians included veterans and up and coming talent with Barry Hilton, Mark Banks, Marc Lottering, Nic Rabinowtiz, Trevor Noah, Loyiso Gola, John Vlismas and Kagiso Lediga getting a standing ovation from the crowd.

It was hosted at the Grand Arena, Grand West on the 28 & 29 May and I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the venue. It was my first time at the Grand Arena, I was very impressed with the assistance of the staff however the only downsider is the fact that there are literally only two ways to leave the venue. Thousands of individuals, pushing, shoving, trying to make their way to the exit is not a pleasant experience. Management definitely needs to look at alternative ways to get people to the exits, avoiding the mashpit of cranky human beings, the best thing to do would be to find a restaurant for a night cap however several restaurants were either closed or had restrictions such as you had to eat in order to be seated which I think is a bit ridiculous.

My favourite comedians of the night were my usual funny men who without fail make me laugh so much that my tummy hurts for days after, Marc Lottering and Nic Rabinowitz. Loyiso Gola, who hails from Gugs , is definitely one to watch out for, he had the crowd cracking up after literally each sentence. I was disappointed by Trevor Noah, his charasmatic charm usually adds to his humour however he was not a front runner for me. Barry Hilton showed signs of exhaustion, must be all the travelling and I felt that he does not really understand the Cape Town audience, his research or rather his homework on the crowd was lacking.

The evening of laughter definitely added to my list of what makes me a proudly South African. Celebrating South African talent, with thousands of happy and laughing fellow South African’s is a sure way to feel the energy of our talented comedians. Upcoming comedy festival, the Vodacom Funny Festival at the Baxter Theatre starts on 7 June which is always fun, except for the fact that the array of comedians does not really change each year, if you have not been I would suggest that you make an effort. A good laugh is always good for the soul.

2 comments:

  1. On the comedian and not doing homework topic....a while ago the bf and I were at Rafiki's and a comedian made a racial joke which did not go down well- have nerver witnessed silence like that before, poor comedian. Was funny for the rest of us though...you had to be there i suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice honest review.

    Must admit, I am green with envy...I so much wanted to see the show. The saying 'the early bird catches the worm' should have been something to live by as by the time I wanted to book, they were sold out :-(

    ReplyDelete