Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The art of using a cliche

The Sun will eventually peak out after a stormy day
The term cliche gets thrown around alot, people making excuses for using cliches, using a cliche and not realising it but the big question is,  do we understand what a cliche really is. According to Answers. com a cliche is an "overused expression or idea" or  "a person or character whose behavior is predictable or superficial"

The well known cliche Good things come to those who wait, is a phrase which I must admit I use very often. When friends are feeling down, unmotivated or can't see the sunshine at the end of a stormy day at the office or when things are not going according to plan, I always remind friends that something good will happen. It's important to just keep trying and in the end, the right outcome will be achieved whether you believe it's right or not. The expression Everything happens for a reason is another phrase which gets used on a regular basis probably more times a day than your average coffee addict. The truth is, does everything happen for a reason or is it just an overused expression. I guess I would like to believe that everything does happen for a reason, am I just living in a bubble by thinking this, or is it actually true. I dobelieve that all the hardwork, sacrifices, challenges, bumps in the road and tears are all part of a learning experience, contributing to my independence and life lessons.

So the next time you are questionning whether you have made the right decision and a colleague or friend uses the infamous cliche, believe it, even if you feel that you are living your fairy tale or in a pink bubble, the truth is, everything does happen for a reason whether we like it ot not.


2 comments:

  1. I think some cliches (anyone know how to get an accent on the 'e' on a Mac????) get an extra definition of truth because they are used so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...I call it faith.

    ReplyDelete