Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wedding cake in the middle of the road

Winter is finally upon us after months of sunshine, the warmth of sun has finally lessened leaving us patiently waiting for the next few months of struggling to get out of bed in the morning, hitting that snooze button for an extra 10 minutes then rushing to make it to the office in time to disappear. With winter comes rain, which if indoors in front of the fire, with a cup of hot chocolate with marshmellows or better a glass of merlot, it's all worthwhile but if at the office or driving its not the most pleasant experience.


Driving home from the office on a rather wintery evening, the sun had set, it was dark, pouring with rain, my wipers were swishing at an electric pace, I was focusing on the road trying to ensure that I stayed within my lane. As I was making my way past Llandudno, heading up Suikerbosie in the middle of the road was a 3 tired wedding cake, which with a bit of rain was slowing losing its shape. In the distance in between all the rain drops I could see a mini truck had stopped and 2 gentleman were running towards the cake, waving there hand profusly trying to slow down the traffic.

Before I knew it the wedding cake was right in front of me, do I swerve left but there may be a car in the other lane or right, but there may be on coming traffic, do I slow down, no I cant there’s car right on my bumper or do I drive over it, no I couldn’t, I would be tainted with the thought of ruining a wedding for the rest of my live and possibly jinx my own wedding. All these thoughts and questions bubbling up in my head, what to do.


In life there are times when there are indeed wedding cakes in the middle of road. This represents obstacles which suddenly pop up out of absolutely nowhere, this is when one is tested with regard to how you deal with these obstacles which in essence impacts you whether it be work related or personally related. Generally an obstacle appears when you least expect it, which may create an absolute flutter of panic  if things are going according to plan, the last thing you want is an unexpected obstacle which throws your planning out of the window. The truth is life is all about the unexpected obstacles which throw your planning off track for a bit, but its up to you to evaluate the options do you go left, right, straight, slow down or accelerate. Ultimatley its your decision, as you are the one who has to live with the decision, thus you need to take ownership and if you make the wrong decision, life will go on and hopefully you will learn a valueable lesson from it.

You are never to young or old to be faced with obstacles, that’s what life is essentially partly about, you get thrown with an unexpected problem, you can either sit in the corner & cry, hide away and wish the problem away or deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the way you managed to turn the wedding cake into general life disturbances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing how most of us like routine, whilst I have a friend that actually wants and thrives on the chaos of finding a wedding cake (obstacles) in the middle of the road.

    ReplyDelete