Sunday, August 8, 2010

"Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read"


Frank Zappa - Muffin Man

This infamous medley of words was expressed by Frank Zappa, who was known by many as quite the talented musical soul. Frank was an American composer, film director, record producer and electic guitarist, quite the list of skills which one could add to his CV.  Frank was a self taught musician and his array of musical influences guided him to produce music which at times one could not categorise. Do you know of any of the films or records which he produced? Zappa was part of the band, Mothers of Invention and he was also well known as a solo artist.


Frank Zappa, known for his locks.

When I think rock I think either heavy rock, which I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of or light rock which I can handle and actually enjoy. However the thought of heavy rock actually gives me quite the headache, to me its just a loud sound, lots of very loud guitars which make your brain freeze in an unpleasant way causing one to go deaf. I do understand that there is a huge following of the heavy rock 'n roll and heavy metal genre. Watching a few of Zappa's music videos to familarise myself with his style, there were elements which reminded me of Ozzy Osbourne. Indeed, the heavy metal guru, who was the lead singer for the band Black Sabbath made a name for himself firstly as a raw, dark, drug addicted lead vocalist before he was seen as the soft dad in the hit reality show, The Osbournes which gave viewers insight into Ozzy's life.

I think the famous words expressed by Zappa are referring to himself. He was a world wide phenomenon who expressed his thoughts via music or other forms of creative arts. He started at a young age thus I think there came a point in his career when he was being interviewed by so many journalists that he did not care what he said as he expressed his creativity through music, that was his main priority. Zappa passed away in 1993 from prostate cancer, however he was recognised in 1997 by receiving a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. His legacy still lives on and one can view his very active website www. zappa.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice post- I feel more informed. Not like rockers make sense or anything!

    ReplyDelete