Monday, July 19, 2010

Unexpected consequences of being online


Addicted to the Internet
There are so many positives to being online especially if one is making use of social media. Whether you are interested in expressing your point of view in a blog, showcasing your creative talent by putting together a Youtube video, sharing special captured moments on flickr, keeping up to date with friends and family on facebook or tweeting a recent achievement or sharing a important link on twitter, the truth is if you're not part of the phenomenon what have you been doing?

There are however still individuals out there who do not believe in the power of social media and thus are not open to joining what some refer to as the social media fad. An amazing youtube video was put together called Social Media revolution which basically communicates a list of statistics showcasing the unexpected power of social media. If you have not seen it yet, follow the link below, it is a must see and can help if you are trying to get your business to make the most of social media.

Below are 10 unexpected consequences of being online

  1. If you are online, you have access to an extensive library of information however this library may in fact be an over kill as at times there is actually just too much information. One then needs to sieve through what at times is actually useless information before finding the relevant information needed.
  2. The unexpected addiction to being online, if I'm not online the craving to be online at times can be rather intense as the feeling of not knowing whats going or the ability to communicate takes over. However with that said I do believe that it is necessary to take sometime off from being online, the brain needs to take a moment plus a weekend away with no access to the internet does wonders.
  3. SPAM- I am amazed at how many SPAM/junk emails  I get on a daily basis, its crazy.
  4. Being online gives you the opportunity to view restaurants, their menus, reviews etc before actually visiting the restaurant. For me, as a true foodaholic and regualr eater outer (I enjoy eating out), if the restaurant does not have a website, online menu or the reviews are bad, I'm most likely not going to make the effort to visit your restaurant.
  5. I have always been one to express my thoughts and opinions. With the evolution of social media especially blogging, this platform is used to express your opinions whether others agree or not. There are a number of instances where I would prefer to rant via my blog or online than actually rant face to face.
  6. The unexpected lack of calmness when the net decides to slow down or my connection is affected which happens alot or when I just get disconnected with no forewarning. Advice to Mr & Mrs Internet, give me forewarning before you disconnect me thus giving me the heads up & I shall preoccupy myself whilst you take a nap.
  7. Being online allows one to pay online, EFT what a wonderful tool. I never thought that I would actually make use of this tool however nowadays thats generally how I pay accounts, it saves time, effort and allows me to make payments in my pj's attracting no attention from onlookers in the bank queue.
  8. Hacking into individuals emails or facebook accounts, I never realised how hackers are negatively impacting the lives of others until it happened to a friend. Seriously, do you not have anything better to do with your time than hack into people's accounts. Hacking is so last season, the net is full of activities, I suggest you try your hand at an activity which is a bit more challenging.
  9. I've realised how many face to face conversations have been replaced by gmail chat, facebook chat etc. I never thought that individuals would prefer to have a convo online rather than face to face over a cup of tea. I guess with skype you can have that much needed catch up session, with a cup of tea and still see the person even though they may be sitting in Ecuador and you in Cape Town.
  10. Being active online has encouraged me to inform or rather educate those in power at the office about the positives about being active online especially making use of social media. Thus encouraging the more traditional folk who only believe in communicating via face to face to see the upside of being online.
Link to Revolution of social media Youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIFYPQjYhv8

http://tinyurl.com/33ty77g

2 comments:

  1. Ditto...hacking into someone else's account is SOOOO last season *said with attitude*

    ReplyDelete
  2. number 7- our greatest achievement! what we going through without online banking etc.

    ReplyDelete